What Exactly is Tinder?
I downloaded Tinder a few weekends into my time in Barcelona. What initially started as a game, because an area of intense fascination for me. This post is dedicating to figure out what makes Tinder tick.
I’ll let Tinder describe…
(Pictures from Tinder iTunes App Store page)
Tinder boys, this is my little piece of advice to you, based on field and personal research. Any of the following will most likely get an automatic X:
- Baby in the picture. I don’t care who’s it is, don’t want to go down that road.
- Under 21. Can’t bring ‘em to the bar? Not gonna happen.
- Too hairy. I’m no Ke$ha in that don’t much like mustaches or beards (but am in other ways – world fame, sexy autotune voice, etc.).
- Too bro. Hey bro, check out my tats, bro. Check out my abs, bro. Look, I’m drinking, BRO.
- Every pictures is a group shot. Or there are only 2 pictures. I don’t know what you really look like! And I don’t want to have to figure it out.
- Girl in the picture, OBVIOUSLY not his sister. Either a girlfriend or an ex-girlfriend: neither I would want to see in a boy seeking girl’s profile.
On the other hand, there are some things a person can do with their profile to get an automatic <3.
- Dog in at least one of your pictures. Aww, he’s so cute!
- Muscles. I didn’t say they had to be honorable things. At the same time, leave something to the imagination.
- Something funny. I love and appreciate a good sense of humor above most everything else.
Why dont they message me after they like me?
There are two sides to the story – On one hand, a girl likes to be treated traditionally and let the boy make the first move. But then there are the dudes that feel weird about doing it on Tinder. My advice? If you think someone’s hot – GROW A PAIR.
Why cant it ever be the hot one in the group shot?
Sometimes life just isn’t fair.
Is there a right way to use Tinder?
Some people use it because they’re bored, some people use it to make friends, some want to find a hookup buddy, and some even want to find a partner. What’s the right way to use Tinder, and is there even one? Is it weird to meet a person off the internet in person based on your mutual lust and not much more?
Suggested Additional Features
- Ability to sort by age. We all have our preferences.
- Height display. Asking for weight is going too far, but height is hard to tell through a picture.
- Stop being slow! Its no fun to give up on a person because their profile wont load.
- Android users just wanna have fun. With so many people on Android powered devices, a huge chunk of people are underrepresented.
Tinder Gone Wrong
One of the people I’ve discussed Tinder with told me about a personal experience where he met up with a girl who was many pounds heavier than she claimed to be. He was a good sport and had a few drinks with her, but I would have left… If I can’t trust that you will show up at least physically as the person you have represented yourself as (albeit minus many Instagram filters), I can’t trust anything else you say.
Here’s some ground rules for a fun and safe Tinder meet up:
- Meet in public. My number one rule. Don’t trust anyone from the Internet enough to meet for the first time at someone’s house.
- Bring an amused friend. Be honest about who you’re meeting up with (and how you came to be in their acquaintance), and ask them to come along for the ride. Have some other people meet you if you want the option to ditch everyone with your new pal.
- Check their Facebook. Add the person on Facebook before you meet them for the first time. Look at recent pictures. Do they have friends? Good. Probably not an axe murderer, and likely who they say they’ll be!
- Be on the same page for what you want. Self-explanatory. You will likely discuss it before you make the effort to go out, but if not, make your wants known so that nobody is wasting each other’s time.